The iconic Taalmonument is situated on Paarl Mountain, so come visit us to discover more about the history of one of Africa’s youngest languages, Afrikaans! Did you know that the roots of Afrikaans can be traced back to three continents, namely Europe, Asia and Africa? The architect, Jan van Wijk, designed the language monument to give recognition to these diverse origins of the language, and took into account the beautiful natural environment. Moreover, our restaurant offers lekker food and incredible views of the Cape Peninsula and Boland mountains. There is also an open-air gallery dedicated to new creative works in Afrikaans, as well as playgrounds and outdoor games. The museum and monument often host exceptional events, so click here to see the latest information on our social media platform. If you visit the Taalmuseum in Paarl on the same day, you will receive a discount on the entrance fee there, so please retain your original monument payment slip.
Free guided tours are available from Mondays to Fridays – weekends and public holidays only with pre-booking for a minimum of 20 people.
We also have audio guides available in Afrikaans, English, Xhosa, French, Dutch and German.
WHERE ARE WE?
Address: Gabbema Doordrift Street, Paarl Mountain, Paarl – follow the brown signs from Paarl’s Main Street
GPS coordinates: 33° 45′ 58.64″ S 18° 56′ 35.36″ E
Directions and map
OPENING TIMES of the LANGUAGE MONUMENT
Open: Mon. to Sun. 08:00–17:00 (Apr. to Oct.) 08:00–20:00 (Nov. to Mar.)
Closed: Christmas (25 Dec.) and New Year’s Day (1 Jan.)
Last entrance is 30 minutes before closing time. Please note that the Visitor Centre and Coffee shop close at 16:45.
ENTRANCE FEES from 1 APRIL 2019 to 31 MARCH 2022
Cash accepted and credit card facilities available.
Your birthday? Free entrance with your South African ID!
- Drakenstein residents with valid library cards: R10
- Want to visit Taalmonument and Taalmuseum on the same day? R10 discount for second place you visit – retain payment slip of first visit
- Free for Drakenstein residents with valid library cards on the following days: International Mother Language Day (21 Feb), Human Rights Day (21 Mar), International Monument Day(18 Apr), Freedom Day (27 Apr), Workers Day (1 May), International Museum Day (18 May), Africa Day (25 May), Youth Day (16 Jun), National Women’s Day (9 Aug), Language Day (14 Aug), Heritage Day (24 Sep), Taalmonument’s birthday (10 Oct)
- Want to only visit the coffee shop? R10 entry fee, but only if you made a reservation beforehand on 021 863 2800/072 705 3590 so that your reservation can be communicated to the entrance gate (concession valid until 31 June 2020)
- Standard entrance fee, but tour operator rates and STO negotiable. Apply for this timeously and in writing via email@example.com. Tour guides and bus drivers free.
- Standard entrance fee (groups of 20+ people MUST pre-book)
SA STUDENTS and SA PENSIONERS
- R10 (with proof)
- R5 (free under six years)
- R5 per learner, 2 teachers and bus driver free (please pre-book for educational programmes)
- ANNUAL PERMIT: R120 for individuals/R220 for a family of four – includes unlimited visits to the museum, monument, hiking trails and Full Moon Picnics
- BIKING PERMIT: Standard entrance fee/Annual permit at R220 per person – includes unlimited access to downhill trails, museum, monument and Full Moon Picnics
- HIKING PERMIT: Normal entrance fee plus R20 deposit
- FULL MOON PICNICS: Normal entrance fee (tickets available at Computicket/Taalmonument/gate)
- STARGAZING PICNICS: Adults R40/Children R10 (tickets only available at Computicket/Taalmonument)
- CONCERTS AT GARDEN THEATRE AND AMPHITHEATRE: Prices vary, but Garden Theatre visitors can visit the monument for free
The centre houses an exhibition area, a book shop, offices and a conference room.
Our conference room is available for meetings, workshops, lectures and training sessions and is suitable for a maximum of 30 to 50 people. Tariff: R45 per person (entrance fee included) with a minimum fee of R600.
WEDDING and other OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHY
Only with pre-booking:
1-10 people R200 11-20 R400 21-30 R550 31-50 R850 51-100 R1 600 > 100 negotiable
Additional assistance service fee after working hours: R120 per hour or any part thereof
Ceremony/picnic reception R750 (maximum 25 people)
Only with pre-booking:
Filming (movie) R20 000 (full day) R10 000 (half day) Filming (advertisement) R16 000 (full day) R8 000 (half day) Commercial photography (still shoot) R13 000 (full day) R7 000 (half day) Commercial photography/filming (SA companies) R5 500 (negotiable) Photo portfolios (SA students) R500
Additional assistance service fee after working hours: R120 per hour/any part thereof
TERMS and CONDITIONS
Terms and conditions apply. Visitors visit the premises at their own risk. The ATM will not be held liable for any loss, damage or injury sustained. Above-mentioned prices are only valid for normal entrance/as indicated and not for special events or functions. Requests for discounts must be made to the Director in writing. Income of entrance fees and rental earnings is used to supplement the shortfall in the subsidy of the Department of Arts and Culture. It is utilised for maintenance and the offering of educational programmes and heritage projects. Right of admission is reserved. No weapons, animals or hawkers are allowed on the premises.
- WARNING: dangerous animals, including snakes, spiders and scorpions, are found on the grounds of the monument.
- No fires are allowed.
- Only guide dogs are allowed.
- No commercial or portfolio photography or filming are allowed without prior permission and a permit.
- Picnics: groups of 20 persons or more must pre-book.
- Children’s parties: bookings essential; no jumping castles etcetera.
VISITORS MAY NOT
- Damage or remove any plants, flowers, seeds or trees.
- Harass, injure, feed, touch, catch or remove any animals.
- Play a radio or musical instrument, or make a noise.
- Climb on the monument or on the roof of any building, on the boulders or up any tree.
- Swim in the fountain.
- Litter or drop cigarette butts.
- Use drones without pre-approval.
- Discharge any fireworks.