This season Arno Carstens, Refentse, Amanda Strydom and Coenie de Villliers are some of the artists performing in aid of “Laat ons Lees!” (Let us Read) in the 1 000 seater Garden Theatre – on the lawn right at the foot of the Taalmonument.
Make a note of these dates:
- Picnic concerts include Arno Carstens en Refentse (2 December 2016), The Rockets (27 January 2017), Bobby van Jaarsveld (24 February 2017), Amanda Strydom and Jak de Priester (10 March 2017), Coenie de Villiers, Hemelbesem en Yoma (13 March 2017) and Die Heuwels Fantasties (31 March 2017). Tickets are R140 for adults, R130 for students and R70 for children under 13 years. Tickets for The Rockets are R100 or R30 for children under 13 years.
- On 30 December 2016 The Psychedelic Theatre’s fire dancers will once again perform their popular Dans van die Vlamme show at the monument. Tickets are R100 for adults, R80 for students and R50 for children under 13 years.
- A Valentine’s Picnic Concert with artists including André Schwartz will be held on 14 February 2017. Tickets are R140 for adults, R130 for students and R70 for children under 13 years.
- At the Stargazing picnics (on 29 October, 26 November and 17 December 2016, as well as 21 January, 18 February en 25 March 2017) visitors can discover the night skies through the telescopes of the Orion Observation Group (OOG), an informal stargazing club from the Boland. The entrance fee is R35 for adults and R10 for children.
- Full-moon picnics are scheduled for 15 October, 12 November and 15 December 2016 (with Father Christmas), as well as 13 January, 11 February and 11 March 2017. Tickets are R25 for adults, R10 for South African students and R5 for children (free under six years).
Visitors are welcome to bring their own picnic basket or they can order one from Volksmond Coffee Shop (tel. 021 863 2800). Tickets are pre-sold at Computicket, as well as at the Taalmonument. No smoking is allowed in the Garden Theatre, and no chairs during Picnic Concerts.
“Our picnics are affordable and offer unbeatable sunset and night-time views of the valley,” says Michael Jonas, Director of the Afrikaanse Taalmuseum en -monument (ATM). “The ATM is a non-profit organisation which operates as an agency of the National Department of Arts and Culture. Our picnic series is an important way of raising funds for our projects. We would like to invite everyone to come and enjoy a picnic in support of our reading project for children.”
From November to March the Taalmonument is open until 20:00 daily. For more information, call 021 863 4809/0543 or visit www.taalmonument.co.za and www.facebook.com/afrikaansetaalmonument.